On May 5th, I was hired by a Brazilian businessman to accompany him to this 4-day event, doing Escort Interpreting at the OTC.
So Escort Interpreting, is when you accompany a single person and interpret whatever conversations he or she is having with another person or group.
Once again I was faced with having to learn a new vocabulary in English and Portuguese, this time in the oil and gas sector. So in preparation for this assignment I started to do a little research on the terminology used in this industry by looking at some of the big players like FMC, Aker, Technip, GE Oil&Gas, Cameron, Schlumberger, and Halliburton; where I learned about some ingenious developments like the Offshore Footless Loading Arm (Braço de Carga sem Base para Offshore) and Seismic Guided Drilling [Perfuração por Guia Sísmico)(SGD).
In short, I did feel under a bit of pressure by having someone fly me from New York City, NY to Houston, TX for such an event (108,000 attendees); but in the end I felt that doing my homework made a big difference in my performance. My client was very happy and has informed me of his intention to continue to use my services in his efforts to generate some international business.
Founded in 1969, the Offshore Technology Conference is the world’s foremost event for the development of offshore resources in the fields of drilling, exploration, production, and environmental protection. OTC is held annually at Reliant Park in Houston.
OTC gives you access to leading-edge technical information, the industry’s largest equipment exhibition, and valuable new professional contacts. Here’s how:
- Quality: Technical program selected by knowledgeable and experienced professionals.
- Value: See ground-breaking innovations and meet the leading providers of products and services in just four days.
- Convenience: 174 nonstop flights, world-class venues and hotels, and nearby public transportation.
- Easy to Plan: Always the first full week of May every year.
- Networking: More than 90,000 professionals from 120+ countries are there.
- In the World’s Energy Capital: Combine OTC with client meetings, business proposals, and company training.
- Investing Back in the Industry: OTC’s sponsoring organizations use revenue to provide many other important programs for its members, such as training and technical journals.
- Always Something New: Encounter different languages being spoken, never-seen-before technologies, and C-suite speakers that you might not hear anywhere else.